5671Re: [mythsoc] History of Middle-earth

  • David S. Bratman
    Mar 26, 2002
      At 01:58 PM 3/24/2002 , Marianne Dole wrote:

      >Now for today's question. I was reading a post about 'hope' and a book or
      >series was mentioned called The History of Middle-earth. What is it? Sounds
      >like something I'd like to read. Thank you.

      Nobody seems to have replied to this; they were all too busy with the
      Oscars. I guess I should say that "The History of Middle-earth" is a
      series of not one, not two, not three, but twelve volumes, published
      between 1983 and 1996, containing Tolkien's drafts and various versions of
      "The Silmarillion" and "The Lord of the Rings", plus much supplementary and
      additional material, dating all the way from the early 1910s to the end of
      his life. With extensive commentary by Christopher Tolkien.

      A simple guide to all of Tolkien's non-technical work is on my web page at
      http://www.stanford.edu/~dbratman/tolkien_bib.html

      David Bratman
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic