5560Re: Re: Re: [mythsoc] Why the middle ages are so popular in fiction

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Mar 11, 2002
      In a message dated 3/10/2 6:50:02 AM, David Bratman wrote:

      <<And the point I was making was that the time period evoked by the style of
      Gormenghast, never mind when it's supposedly actually set, was early-modern
      and not medieval.

      Agreed, of course. I just thought that, even within Gormenghast itself, the
      "riot of different times" includes periods much later than the 17th century
      -- figures like Bellgrove and the Professors, for instance, evoke (at least
      to me) the 19th or even the early 20th century. This is what made it
      impossible for me as a reader to conceive of Gormenghast as existing in any
      period in the past (however ill-defined -- though, as you point out, it could
      never be mediaeval) rather than in the future. But different readers are
      impressed by different aspects of a book's imagery, of course.
      Alexei
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic