5559Re: [mythsoc] Re: David's list of fictionalized Lewises and Tolkiens

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Mar 11, 2002
      In a message dated 3/11/2002 9:24:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      > I didn't think it was a very good story, even on its own terms.

      No, nor did I. But I've read various posts and reviews by a lot of people
      really like it, so I don't think Dozois' simply filling space -- different
      folks can have different taste, after all!

      I think you're right that Egan didn't do justice to Lewis' apologetics; what
      drove me nuts about the story was that it depicted Lewis as closed-minded,
      humorless and fearful -- which is the image that too many non-Christians have
      of Christians. The story depicts his faith as confining, rather than
      freeing. If I read one more SF story where people of faith are depicted as
      dunderheads, I'll scream *very* completely.

      Not, of course, that there aren't many honorable exceptions.

      Susan