5550Re: Re: [mythsoc] Why the middle ages are so popular in fiction

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Mar 9, 2002
      In a message dated 3/8/2 7:40:57 PM, David Bratman wrote:

      <<Peake's Gormenghast is deliberately a riot of
      differing times, but its center appears to be somewhere around the 17th
      century.>>

      My impression has always been that Gormenghast is set in a far-off,
      post-industrial future, where the disappearance of technological amenities
      has given culture an Early Modern "look". I think this is confirmed in _Titus
      Alone_, where we are shown the world outside Gormenghast, and it definitely
      looks more like a decayed version of our modern world (complete with
      lingering bits of advanced technology) than any past period of history.
      Alexei
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic