5526Re: [mythsoc] Why the middle ages are so popular in fiction

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Mar 8 9:52 AM
      Jamaq wrote

      > > So I ask again--why so much fantasy set in the medieval milieu rather
      > > than,
      > > say, that of ancient Rome or the 18th century?

      Some possible reasons: The =clothes= are just the best. :)

      The romantic atmosphere which is induced: the first English romantics, in
      fact, looked back to medievalism. That produces the further question, of
      course, "why did they do so?"

      The poetry of the Church, combined with the poetry of a good deal of
      still-remembered paganism (magic wells, fairies lurking in the woods, all
      that kind of thing).

      The strong influence of Malory, maybe?

      I think there's room for a good serious literary study, here.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic