5091Re: Big research projects (was: Lawsuit about Tolkien)

  • michael_martinez2
    Feb 12, 2002
      Not that I think anyone is taking notes, but I omitted two other
      titles from the list of my base canon:

      --- In mythsoc@y..., "michael_martinez2" <michael@x> wrote:

      > Technically, I don't work from a single canon. I have found it
      > impossible. But, generally speaking, I try to work from this one:
      >
      > The 2nd edition of THE LORD OF THE RINGS
      > The 3rd edition of THE HOBBIT
      > THE ROAD GOES EVER ON, 1st edition>
      > THE ADVENTURES OF TOM BOMBADIL
      > THE SILMARILLION
      > and portions of UNFINISHED TALES. I have lately begun to draw upon
      > much of the pre-publication material intended for the appendices
      > which Christopher published in THE PEOPLES OF MIDDLE-EARTH.

      I do also usually draw upon THE WAR OF THE JEWELS and MORGOTH'S RING,
      although some of the material in these books conflicts with other
      sources.

      And in very rare cases, I have looked through THE TREASON OF
      ISENGARD, THE WAR OF THE RING, and SAURON DEFEATED for insight. I
      don't think I've relied much upon THE RETURN OF THE SHADOW.

      Finally, "Lay of Leithian" is simply timeless. Although there
      conflicts between details in the "Lay" and later books, it's just too
      important a source text to pass up. I may not give precedence to
      what I find in the "Lay", but I still look through it for relevant
      details on a lot of subjects.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic