4883Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 785

  • Trudy Shaw
    Dec 31, 2001
      From: Steve Schaper
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, December 31, 2001 5:16 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 785

      >> Thanks Carl, I also don't like the
      >> way they said "Mordor", based on how I think "in the
      >> land of Mordor where the shadows lie" and "for into
      >> darkness fell his star, in Mordor where the shadows
      >> are' should sound.

      >Maybe they were getting Za'ha'dum and Mordor mixed up, just as Aragorn resembled another Ranger. . .
      Well, I'd be more inclined to link Za'ha'dum with Khazad-Dum. I used to watch Babylon 5 with notepad handy so I could jot down all the Tolkien allusions. It seemed to be a tribute rather than plagierism, as one of the Technomages once quoted the "Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards..." line, attributing it to "a wise man of your planet [earth]." (And thanks for helping me figure out just who it is that Viggo Mortensen reminds me of!)

      >> I would have to agree with Michael that a more vocal handful of Christians
      >> is reviling Potter and making Christians in general appear to be rather
      >> silly (if not worse) just by general association.
      >> ya-da-da, when these people have never so much as read a chapter. They just
      >> heard it somewhere...

      >Yeah, and they will not listen, either. -Very- frustrating.

      >> In "A Knife in the Dark" there is the attack on Weathertop, where
      >> Gandalf defends himself against the Nazgul.

      >If spiritual warfare is magic, many an elderly lonely, praying widow is a mage of great power.

      During the last few days, I've run across several articles and letters to the editor relating to the difference between Rowling and Tolkien as seen by some conservative Christians. My hypothesis (not enough evidence to make it a theory) is that the difference isn't so much the amount or type of "magic," as it is its source. The perceived danger of getting involved in the occult, etc., has always been fear of connecting with an evil power--purposely or unwittingly.

      Much of what can be called magic in Middle-earth can just as well be called prayer, spiritual warfare, Providence (in the strict sense of the word), or even the communion of saints (and angels). Even within LotR, there are hints of Tolkien's broader cosmology, and since the publication of The Silmarillion readers have been able to trace the source of any Middle-earthly power for good back to its source in Eru/The One.

      I'm sure most of the anti-Potter lobby, if questioned, would agree that an inborn talent is a gift from God that should be trained and put to use for good, but Rowling just isn't as explicit about "her" magic having its source in God as Tolkien is.

      --Trudy