      From: Trudy Shaw tgshaw@...
      Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 21:12:27 -0600
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] MBTI (was LotR marketing)

      << Myself and a few online friends actually tried to do this with Sam and Frodo awhile back. It _has_ been awhile, but IIRC, Sam came out as an ESFJ and Frodo as an INF with a nearly equal balance between his P and J (after arguing about this last point, we decided it might be the type of personality needed for the quest--someone who could both plan and act--and it does happen in "real life" that someone occasionally comes out with a close balance in one aspect). So, of course, the J's and the P's both claimed him (no allusion to film dialogue of warrior elf princess intended).>>

      I sometimes use the MBTI on a character I'm working on to try to figure out their deeper levels. Perhaps that's because I'm an INFP one point higher on I rather than E, and a couple of points higher on P than J.)

      Their I/E and N/S differences seem to be fairly clear-cut: Frodo works through decisions interiorly--with the extreme of that seen at the end of FotR when he decides to leave alone without talking it over with _anyone_, while Sam comes to decisions by talking them out (with himself, if there's no one else handy); Frodo has a tendency to see things intuitively without always being conscious of the individual parts of the process, while Sam is more concrete (and possibly more observant of his physical surroundings?) and consciously goes through the steps leading to any conclusion.

      We came to no agreement regarding the sanity or lack thereof demonstrated by giving psychological assessments to fictional characters.

      See above.

      --Trudy, also an INFJ (but _almost_ evenly balanced between F and T)

      My crib on the MBTI (*Please Understand Me*) says that most women are Fs rather than Ts; I won't get into whether this is innate or cultural.

      << P.S. Interesting that INFJ's are supposed to be less than 1% of the population, but I keep running into "us" quite regularly--most commonly in church work and in Tolkien-related circumstances. >>

      I've run into a lot of INFPs and INFJs, which means either that odd ducks tend to congregate, perhaps choose the same profession (and so we tend to meet that type) or we're not as rare as the test proposes. Be interesting to find out if there's a preponderance of a type in Tolkien fandom. ---djb

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic