4421Re: [mythsoc] LOTR review

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Dec 2, 2001
      In a message dated 12/2/01 11:34:42 AM Central Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      > I'm intrigued that I would criticize much of what he
      > finds praiseworthy, and praise what he criticizes.

      I was depressed that the reviewer found the evil things in the film the most
      convincing, and the things representing Good to be hackneyed and trite.
      (Well, OK, I myself thought that Galadriel's swan boat as seen in stills was
      rather icky.)

      If it's true, it is a failure on Jackson's part, certainly (and I've been
      alarmed by the likeness of some shots and clips I've seen to Horror Movies).
      If it's not true, then either the reviewer, which is bad, or the whole
      culture, which is worse, simply has a blind spot, an allergy or deafness to
      Good. Which is highly possible.

      As for what you say about HPOTTER, David, I dunno. He hasn't said it's
      "terrible," just that it doesn't have "real passion, real emotion, real
      terror, and a tactile sense of Evil" - and I am not sure, myself, that it
      did. At least, maybe appropriately for a children's film, these things were
      not there on a very deep level.

      Am I the only one who thinks that Viggo Mortensen looks EXACTLY like Aragorn
      ought to look?

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic