4187Re: [mythsoc] Recent Suite101 Tolkien/Middle-earth articles

  • Juliet Blosser
    Oct 31, 2001
      On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 02:08:13PM -0500, ERATRIANO@... wrote:
      > In a message dated 10/31/01 12:35:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > michael@... writes:
      >
      > << But there may also be a connection with the much
      > later 'Shibboleth of Feanor'. >>
      >
      > The what?? And isn't Shibboleth a Hebrew word for something? Sure I'd scope
      > the site but I'm just not online much lately.
      >
      > Lizzie

      "Shibboleth" comes from Judges 12:6. My condensation of the story:
      The Ammonites were attacking a region of Israel, and God sent a Gileadite
      named Jephthah to take them out. After he came back successful, the
      men of Ephraim, an ethnic subgroup, told Jephthah they were going to
      attack him because they didn't get to go to the battle.

      "Jephthah then called together the men of Gilead and fought against
      Ephraim. The Gileadites struck them down because the Ephraimites had
      said, 'You Gileadites are renegades from Ephraim and Manasseh.' The
      Gileadites captured the fords of the Jordan leading to Ephraim, and
      whenever a survivor of Ephraim siad, 'Let me cross over,' the men of
      Gilead asked him, 'Are you an Ephraimite?' If he replied, 'No,' they
      said, 'All right, say "Shibboleth."' If he said, 'Sibboleth,' because
      he could not pronounce the word correctly, they seized him and killed
      him at the fordes of the Jordan."

      Judges 12:4-6a

      I've long considered this one of the more interesting stories in the Bible.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic