4182Re: Recent Suite101 Tolkien/Middle-earth articles

  • Michael Martinez
    Oct 31, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., ERATRIANO@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 10/31/01 12:35:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > michael@x... writes:
      >
      > << But there may also be a connection with the much
      > later 'Shibboleth of Feanor'. >>
      >
      > The what?? And isn't Shibboleth a Hebrew word for something? Sure
      I'd scope
      > the site but I'm just not online much lately.

      Yes, it is a Hebrew word, used in reference to the distinctions drawn
      between peoples. "The Shibboleth of Feanor" is a fairly late essay,
      published in THE PEOPLES OF MIDDLE-EARTH, which discusses how a
      controversy over the change in pronunciation of a specific sound
      (which occurred in his mother's name, and is represented by the Thorn
      character, shifting to an S-sound) led to a division of the Noldor
      into two linguistic communities, reflecting the broader division of
      the nation into what might be called two philosophical or political
      communities (although I think that is oversimplification).
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic