4040Re: [mythsoc] Re: Tolkien as literature?

  • Trudy Shaw
    Oct 1, 2001
      From: Michael Martinez
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2001 10:36 PM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Re: Tolkien as literature?

      I don't think his uneven style is due to any flaw in his writing
      ability. Tolkien understood he was creating a work unlike any
      previously published...

      --Yes, each style use is consciously chosen (the reason I had "uneven" in quotes).

      I think Tom Shippey was right when he said that some of the critics
      just don't get it. Tolkien put the story first. So, I agree that
      the writing was subservient to the story-telling. But I don't
      believe you'll find another writer from the 20th century who
      possessed the combination of skill, training, and intuition that
      Tolkien brings to the printed page.

      --Thank you! For anyone who found my rambling unclear, just read Michael's post, as he's saying what I was trying to. Many "literary critics" are looking at such specific things that they miss the overall picture. Their definition of writing quality is limited to "literary elements," whatever they might be. Tolkien's "...combination of skill, training, and intuition" isn't something they're used to dealing with. They "just don't get it," certainly.

      --Trudy Shaw

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Start here...

      Height: