3893Re: A stupid question

  • Michael Martinez
    Sep 7, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., Stolzi@a... wrote:
      > Thanks for the help! There were some ambiguous passages, for
      instance in
      > Book Four, Ch. 6 ("The Forbidden Pool") Faramir's description of
      Minas
      > Morgul: "Nine Lords there were, and after the return of their
      Master, which
      > they aided and prepared in secret, they grew strong again. Then the
      Nine
      > Riders issued forth from the gates of horror, and we could not
      withstand
      > them."
      >
      > But here, I suppose "their Master" must mean Sauron.

      Yes, Sauron was the master. They were originally living men in the
      Second Age whom Sauron corrupted to his service. According to "Of
      the Rings of Power and the Third Age", they all became kings,
      warriors, and sorcerors (some people argue that only some became
      kings, only some became warriors, etc.).

      The word "Nazgul" is used as both a plural and singular form. I
      don't know enough about Black Speech to know if that is appropriate.
      Tolkien sometimes admitted to making mistakes in LoTR, but I don't
      study the languages.

      The Lord of the Nazgul was also the Witch-king of Angmar, the Lord of
      Morgul, and the Captain of Mordor. Robert Foster provides a full
      list of his titles in THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO MIDDLE-EARTH.

      Technically, Khamul the Black Easterling, the second-in-command of
      the group, might be called the Lord of Dol Guldur, or the Lieutenant
      of Dol Guldur, since he was assigned command of that fortress after
      Sauron returned to Mordor and rebuilt the Barad-dur. That title is
      not used in any published text, though.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic