3892Re: [mythsoc] A stupid question

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Sep 7, 2001
      margdean@... writes:

      > No. "Nazgul" is simply "Ringwraith" (more or less) in Black
      > Speech. ("nazg" = "ring") I

      I tend to associate the word with "ghoul" even though I know that's false
      etymology.

      Thanks for the help! There were some ambiguous passages, for instance in
      Book Four, Ch. 6 ("The Forbidden Pool") Faramir's description of Minas
      Morgul: "Nine Lords there were, and after the return of their Master, which
      they aided and prepared in secret, they grew strong again. Then the Nine
      Riders issued forth from the gates of horror, and we could not withstand
      them."

      But here, I suppose "their Master" must mean Sauron.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic