3809Re: [mythsoc] Re: [IAFA-L] LeGuin: "Those Who Walk Away from Omelas."

    Aug 16, 2001
      In a message dated 8/15/01 12:01:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      > Besides the fact that you cannot trust such sources, even if they were
      > legal, to get the text correctly, those who approve of courtesy (at least)
      > to living authors will not do their reading in such a flagrantly
      > copyright-violating manner.

      Give us a break here. You, Mary, I, and most of the people on this mailing
      list first read the story in a book years ago that we did pay for (or perhaps
      which the library did pay for). You want her to pay at least $20 to find a
      used copy of one of the books that contains the story or to buy one of those
      in print that contains the story? (The only books in print that I found in
      my search that have the story were college English anthologies, and those
      tend to be rather expensive.) It's a one-page story.

      I wasn't even looking for an online copy, but when I put the title of the
      story into Google, those two URL's were near the top of the search engine.
      The story is so short that just in glancing through the website to figure out
      what it contained, I had to read the whole story. Look, I'm not very happy
      either about the fact that the Internet makes it easy to illegally reproduce
      material that's still in copyright, but what am I supposed to do about it?
      One of those two URL's that has the story is in Russia. Do you want me to
      call in a air strike against the computer that contains the story? Lecturing
      people against reading webpages when they have easy access to them is pretty
      useless. Perhaps the whole Internet should be re-organized so that material
      in copyright isn't available for free (and perhaps, even better, it should
      have short stories like this one available for download for a small price),
      but I can't make that happen.

      Besides, there are lots of stories and novels available on the Internet that
      are out of copyright, and there's no easy way to tell from most of these
      sites which contain material in copyright and which contain stuff out of
      copyright. In any case, please go ahead and inform Le Guin's people that
      "The Ones That Walk Away from Omelas" is available on those two websites.
      Perhaps they have enough clout to get them to take down the stories.

      You use an inaccurate analogy when you quote Tolkien from the preface to the
      Ballantine edition. The Ace editions were not in violation of copyright
      laws. They may have shown that the copyright laws were so badly written at
      the time that they allowed works to lose their copyright status for absurd
      reasons, but Ace wasn't violating any laws in their editions.