3651ANDY SERKIS TALKS GOLLUM

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Jul 4, 2001
      ANDY SERKIS TALKS GOLLUM

      Andy Serkis has been talking, briefly, about playing the role of Gollum
      in
      the coming LORD OF THE RINGS film trilogy. While chatting with the
      Highbury
      and Islington Express newspaper, the actor spoke of one of the saga's
      most
      important roles, saying, "[Gollum's] an amazing role. The way we've done
      it
      is to use a combination of animation and motion capture... so I get to
      do
      the voice and physicality of the part."

      Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is playing
      Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
      adds,
      "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it in
      something the audience can identify with."
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic