3533Re: Article on Tolkien in _Salon_

  • Michael Martinez
    Jun 3, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., WendellWag@a... wrote:
      > The lead article in the today's _Salon_ is about Tolkien.
      >
      > http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2001/06/04/tolkien/index.html
      >
      > Furthermore, it's only Part One (of two parts) of the article.
      >
      > As I think I've said before, I've never seen another periodical
      > devoted mostly to mainstream literary works as favorable to Tolkien
      > as _Salon_ is.

      Unfortunately, they seem to rely upon Andrew O'Hehir as
      their "Tolkien expert", and expert he is not. His previous article
      was simply awful. This one is palatable but really doesn't say
      anything new about Shippey's book or Tolkien. In fact, it looks to
      me like Mr. O'Herir was skimming along as he wrote the review.

      Millions of people have read Tolkien. He hardly needs introduction
      to the larger audience. It would be nice to see a review of Tolkien
      literature which isn't eager to reintroduce the reader to a work it
      probably already knows well.

      Has the well run dry already? We've got 2-1/2 more years of movie
      hype and hysteria to drive the media on Tolkien-related topics.
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic