3422Re: [mythsoc] Authors misunderstanding Tolkien?

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    May 7, 2001
      In a message dated 05/07/01 8:53:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      tgshaw@... writes:

      << That's why the goal of most RPG-type games is something like "Find the
      gold
      in the dungeon. Completely explore the castle and collect the most
      magical
      items. Kill all the other players. Survive to the end of the game." >>

      tournaments, sure. But not regular games. Regular games are more like life,
      they have a temporary goal (find the gold or whatever) which will in a good
      game also involve issues of loyalties and other human (so to speak) themes...
      then after the gold is found, another quest usually appears. At least if
      you have a good group that enjoys playing together. It is not really
      appropriate to try and apply the same standards to gaming as to novels. Can
      someone put this better?

      << At best, the plot habits acquired in RPG's are useful only in a very
      narrow subset of fantasy novels.>>

      So I think that my initial comment, about learning from gaming things that
      can be applied to writing, does not apply so much to actual plotting (which
      is a problem for me anyway), as to world-creating and character balance. A
      good DM puts a lot of work into his or her world, it has to have an
      incredible level of detail to stand up to the rigours of a good game. But
      there is I suppose an aspect of that control which would be a drawback in
      fiction, at least for me, where I like a more lifelike unknowable atmosphere.
      Something like that. Maybe we are actually in agreement, Wendell, and just
      can't make the words mesh. LOL

      Lizzie
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic