342Re: Sales of Lewis's books

  • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
    Jul 7, 1999
      In a message dated 7/7/99 3:23:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
      writes:

      > Lewis himself was plenty conservative politically.

      Yes, but I wonder if he still wasn't *explicitly* conservative enough
      politically to satisfy some people. On the average, his political opinions
      would be considered somewhat conservative these days (although some would be
      a little more conservative than most people now and some a little more
      liberal than most people now), but he didn't tend to discuss his political
      opinions in his books much. Partly this was he considered important issues
      to be "pre-political" (in the sense that they had to be resolved before one
      could even begin to do politics), but partly this was because he was trying
      to keep the issues discussed in his books to what he considered "mere
      Christianity".

      On thinking about this issue though, I now suspect that the paucity of
      Lewis's books in religious bookstores these days is more because the
      lightweightedness of these stores and because many of them don't find Lewis
      to be sufficiently *explicitly* fundamentalist.