338Sales of Lewis's books

    Jul 7, 1999
      May I change the subject to another of the Inklings?

      Has anyone else noticed the following? When I was in a religious bookstore a
      little more than a year ago, I noted that there was only about eight inches
      (maybe 12 or so copies) of Lewis's books on the nonfiction shelves there (and
      there were a few Narnia books in the children's section). Now perhaps it
      wasn't surprising that there were less of his books there than in a big
      Borders that I checked shortly afterwards, where there was about seven feet
      (maybe 120 copies) of his nonfiction books (along with some books about
      Lewis), since that store was considerably larger than the religious
      bookstore. But then I noticed that the copies of Lewis's nonfiction books
      sold in a hip latenight bookstore/cafe that was only a little larger than the
      religious book store took up about a foot and a half (maybe 24 copies). Is
      this generally true these days? Does Lewis not sell well at religious
      bookstores anymore?

      I remember that twenty years ago the religious bookstore next to the campus
      where I was a grad student had a whole section called "Lewis and Friends".
      Am I just not looking at the right religious bookstores these days? Or is
      Lewis considered too difficult for the people who purchase books at religious
      bookstores? Or is he considered too mainstream? Or does he not fit the
      conservative political opinions of people who run religious bookstores today?