3377Re: Aman Lost

  • David J. Finnamore
    Apr 25, 2001
      Lizzie wrote:

      > margdean@... writes:
      >
      > << One of the most interesting of the 12 volumes of the posthumous "History
      > of
      > > Middle-earth". It consists of material written after LOTR dealing with the
      > > early parts of the Silmarillion saga, Valinor, and the "deep structure" of
      > > Tolkien's creation.
      >
      > It's Volume Ten, btw, in case that helps in finding it. I agree
      > with David that it's one of the most interesting in the series! >>
      >
      > Okay well I can see I am even further behind in my reading than I thought.
      > It's hopeless. :-(

      Naw. From what scanning I've done of the others, I think you can safely give most of them amiss and go directly to Volume Ten - unless you're really interested in all the variants of the stories that Tolkien tried before settling on the final version. I
      find that stuff more confusing than anything. Even parts of the Unfinished Tales, with the several options for the identity of Celeborn and his meeting up with Galadriel, are too much for me.

      > Okay, while I'm on this subject again, here is what I know I have, what else
      > should I look for FIRST? (Primary Tolkien only, I'm not interested in things
      > like Master of Middle Earth at this time, that's a whole 'nother bookshelf,
      > er, box.)
      >
      > Hobbit
      > LoTR
      > Tolkien Reader
      > Silmarillion
      > Lays of Beleriand
      > something else... I forget what; I think a random Lost Tale or some such

      The Unfinished Tales (or the Lost Tales, same material in a different format by a different publisher) is worth working through. I make regular reference to Karen Fonstad's "The Atlas of Middle-earth," Ruth Noel's "The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth,"
      and Robert Foster's "The Complete Guide to Middle-earth." All three are invaluable for keeping everything-body-where straight while reading about the histories.

      --
      David J. Finnamore
      Nashville, TN, USA