3221Re: [mythsoc] books and writing

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Mar 26 6:45 AM
      In a message dated 03/26/2001 9:25:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      << Were you comparing _Firebird_ to some other book or Harness to some other
      author you mentioned? _Firebird_ was published in 1981. It's out of print,
      but it seems to be reasonably easy to find in used bookstores. There's 106
      copies of it at abebooks.com, for instance. >>

      Not precisely. More using it as an example of something that moved me
      unexpectedly; I say unexpectedly in retrospect, because I used to expect most
      books to move me. lol

      Someone sent me the below quote in an effort to help me make time to write
      again, and if I could, I'd give them a good poke! lol But here it is to
      share, and the website as well:

      << http://www.sff.net/people/Elizabeth.Moon/

      How do you find time to write?

      I don't find time to write...I make time to write. Big difference.
      Defines writers who write from people who would like to have written but
      can't find time to write. Art is selfish; the book doesn't care about
      dishes, meals, clothes, dusting, cleaning, crusty toilets, streaky windows,
      neglected children, family, friends. I try to choose what to neglect (what,
      not who--a child and a spouse have to come first, if there's to be a family
      at all.) That means all my non-writer friends (and many of my writer
      friends) have neater, cleaner houses and prettier yards.

      I totally understand the distinction between finding and making time... once
      I figured it out, the whole time is finite for all of us thing, I mostly
      stopped griping IRL about not writing. Same thing for not working out.
      There's time to write if I sacrifice other things. People don't get in
      really good shape by wishing... they spend time exercising.

      So I guess I better stop whining and make time to read and write.

      Starting with some of the compiled email games with those characters I'd
      mentioned.

      << Don't be discouraged. The character development of gaming is a little
      different than the development of a character for writing (though there are
      some similarities). Part of art involves deciding how much to *leave out*
      and how much to *keep in.* Robert Jordan is a case in point. >>

      I haven't read any Robert Jordan yet, and he wasn't really on my list.
      Should I give him a shot? I tend not to like things that are patently gaming
      spinoffs, so I've avoided Forgotten Realms and DragonLance and all that sort
      of thing. I was thinking of the character histories and world-building
      details that some of my friends have accomplished. Again, perhaps time and
      practice would bring them to me as well. I think there are holes in my
      little world's setup that you could fly a dragon through. lol

      I have never heard of Midori Snyder, but will look next trip to a bookstore
      or library.

      Lizzie
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic