31Re: 1998 Fantasy Books

  • Matthew Winslow
    Dec 7, 1998
      On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, David Lenander wrote:

      > Has any other current fantasy genre writer been more consistently good?

      At times I think we should just make McKillip the default winner. <g>

      Seriously, though, I've put a bit of thought into this whole McKillip
      thing because my wife is *not* a McKillip fan. I started reading The Book
      of Atrix Wolfe to her and she stopped me after about three chapters. We
      made it through Forgotten Beasts of Eld and I thought it was wonderful and
      she thought it was "OK". I think McKillip is so enjoyable to me because of
      <cliche warning> the wonderful lyricalness of her writing. She and Beagle
      both use the cliches of the genre, but make those cliches seem new and
      beautiful -- like that cereal commercial, "discovering them again for the
      very first time."

      As to consistent authors, Crowley gets better in my eyes, but he is just
      right on the edge of fantasy -- especially with the Aegypt tetralogy. I
      could see nominating Little, Big were I in the Society back then. (Sorry,
      I'm only 28, so I was, um, 12 when it came out), but even though I think
      the Aegypt tetralogy is excellent, it'll probably never get nominated by
      me.

      > Pam Dean's Rosemary & Juniper book won't make my final list, though I enjoyed
      > reading it.

      Could you elaborate on what you liked about it? I made it through, but my
      feelings were in line with what Berni felt -- Dean's representation of
      adolescents was waaaay to unreal to be believable at all. It worked in Tam
      Lin (barely), but not here.

      Matthew Winslow mwinslow@...
      http://members.theglobe.com/mithlond
      "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
      them." - Joseph Brodsky
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic