3065Re: [mythsoc] article on HP and mythopoesis

  • David S. Bratman
    Feb 22, 2001
      WendellWag@... writes:

      > I think that whenever J. K. Rowling does a book
      > signing, she should ask the children as they come up to her, "Which
      character
      > in the books do you think your life most resembles?" Anyone who says
      > "Harry Potter" she should slap silly. Yes, there are children who live
      > unhappy lives these days, but any child who gets to go see an author speak
      > and have them autograph their copy of the book is extremely unlikely to be
      > one of those children.

      Methinks this protesteth too much. "Grotesque child abuse at home" is not
      the sole component of Harry Potter's life. The keynote in his life is
      being secretly special but generally unappreciated, and I suspect most
      children feel that way. That is probably part of what makes him popular in
      the first place.

      David Bratman
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic