3007Re: Re: [mythsoc] Re: Novelists influenced by C. S. Lewis

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Feb 5, 2001
      In a message dated 2/5/1 6:45:40 AM, Wendell wrote:

      <<In a message dated 2/4/01 9:39:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, alexeik@...
      writes:

      > That's odd, I've always thought the influence [of Lewis on
      > Gene Wolfe] was pretty glaring.

      I defer to your superior knowledge of Wolfe. To be honest, I was going by
      the few short stories I've read and the plot descriptions of the novels I've
      heard. Clearly you know much more of Wolfe than I do. I did once have an
      interesting discussion with Wolfe at a con about _The Dark Tower_.

      Not *all* of Wolfe's abundant output is obviously Lewis-influenced, but the
      big fantasy novel-cycles ("New Sun", "Long Sun", "Short Sun") certainly are.
      Like Lewis' s Ransom trilogy, they're theological fantasies expressing
      orthodox Christian concepts in startlingly unconventional ways. They don't
      *imitate* Lewis closely in matters of style or imagery, but it would be hard
      to imagine them being written without Lewis as a basic model.
      Alexei
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic