2997Re: [mythsoc] Re: Novelists influenced by C. S. Lewis

  • Ted Sherman
    Feb 4, 2001
      Don,

      May I ask why you want such a list? That is, is this for personal
      development and illumination? Is this research for a project?

      Ted

      donmcmaster@... wrote:

      > Let me see, what do I want? I'll try eliminating what I *don't* want
      > and see what's left. First of all, I'm pretty sure I don't want
      > Philip Pullman--I say now that I've learned something about him and
      > his books! I don't want any other authors who like Lewis's style but
      > hate his content, either. I don't want authors who were somehow
      > "inspired" by Lewis to write books with content that Lewis probably
      > wouldn't have liked, even if their books may be thought to have a lot
      > of spiritual depth. I want authors (if they exist) who take Lewis as
      > a literary mentor in content at least as much as in style, and who try
      > to write books that Lewis would have liked in both respects. (No
      > doubt I don't want them if they try but fail abysmally; on the other
      > hand, I couldn't reasonably demand that the quality of their writing
      > should equal the excellence of Lewis's own!)
      >
      > Don McMaster
      >
      > --- In mythsoc@y..., "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@s...> wrote:
      >
      > > It all boils down to, what does Don actually want? Books whose
      > authors were inspired by Lewis? If so, inspired in what way? Books
      > that Lewis would have liked? Books that resemble Lewis's? If so,
      > resemble in what way? Content? Spiritual depth? Style? Quality?
      > None of these lists will be the same.

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Associate Professor of English