2996Re: Novelists influenced by C. S. Lewis

  • donmcmaster@yahoo.com
    Feb 4 4:47 PM
      Let me see, what do I want? I'll try eliminating what I *don't* want
      and see what's left. First of all, I'm pretty sure I don't want
      Philip Pullman--I say now that I've learned something about him and
      his books! I don't want any other authors who like Lewis's style but
      hate his content, either. I don't want authors who were somehow
      "inspired" by Lewis to write books with content that Lewis probably
      wouldn't have liked, even if their books may be thought to have a lot
      of spiritual depth. I want authors (if they exist) who take Lewis as
      a literary mentor in content at least as much as in style, and who try
      to write books that Lewis would have liked in both respects. (No
      doubt I don't want them if they try but fail abysmally; on the other
      hand, I couldn't reasonably demand that the quality of their writing
      should equal the excellence of Lewis's own!)

      Don McMaster

      > It all boils down to, what does Don actually want? Books whose
      authors were inspired by Lewis? If so, inspired in what way? Books
      that Lewis would have liked? Books that resemble Lewis's? If so,
      resemble in what way? Content? Spiritual depth? Style? Quality?
      None of these lists will be the same.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic