2974Re: [mythsoc] Interesting web site

  • David S. Bratman
    Jan 27, 2001
      At 08:24 AM 1/27/2001 +0000, Vincent Ferre wrote:

      >"Tolkien certainly did know the Vale" : I think Tolkien mentioned the White
      >Horse, in a letter, didn't he ? (I can't check right now)

      A couple of references to "The White Horse" in Tolkien's published letters
      are to a pub by that name in Oxford. (Probably in turn the name is a
      reference to the White Horse carved in a hillside above the Vale.)

      The White Horse is one of several pubs, besides the famous Bird and Baby,
      in which members of the Inklings used to meet for a drink. It is still
      there, and I too have had a drink there. At least at that time, it was the
      only pub I found in Oxford that had draft cider.

      David Bratman
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic