2771LORD OF THE RINGS WILL LOOK RICH

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Nov 30, 2000
      LORD OF THE RINGS WILL LOOK RICH

      Ian McKellen, who plays Gandalf in Peter Jackson's upcoming film trilogy
      The
      Lord of the Rings, told fans on his official Web site that they will be
      impressed with the films' visual look. McKellen was particularly taken with
      artistic advisor Alan Lee's contributions. Lee produced illustrations for
      J.R.R. Tolkien's trilogy of novels on which the films are based.

      "When I first walked into [the] Rivendell [set], I gasped," McKellen wrote.
      "It was like being inside a huge, three-dimensional Lee painting; the sort
      of thrill that movie theme parks aim for. The largest of the Wellington
      [New
      Zealand] studios had grown an autumnal forest glade of large fiberglass
      trunks and tangled canvas roots; a Japanese-style bridge spanned the
      electrified waterfall splashing into a pool. ... The elves' headquarters
      grew out of the vegetation, slim wooden pillars supporting walkways above
      open spaces and shaded arcades. ... One upper-level gallery had four
      original Alan Lee landscapes that he had painted especially for his
      favorite
      set, and I wondered whose walls they would end up on."

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc,
      MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists