2750Re: [mythsoc] Re: PETER JACKSON TALKS LORD OF THE RINGS

    Nov 14, 2000
      In a message dated 11/14/00 2:02:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      << In other words, you think that when Peter Jackson said "These [i.e. his
      films] are not like the official authorised movies," he meant the
      official authorized movies of _other books_, not ones of LOTR. Is that
      your import?

      If that's what he meant, the word "the" misled me. See, it really can
      matter what the meaning of a little word is.

      I suspect that Peter Jackson didn't mean anything very clear by his
      statement. I think that he was just trying to say that the movies were his
      interpretation of the books and not Tolkien's own vision. That has nothing
      to do with authorized in the usual sense of the world. Furthermore, there's
      no guarantee that a movie that's authorized in the usual sense will
      necessarily be better than one that isn't.

      Even if the author was involved in the actual production of the movie, that
      doesn't mean that the film will be better. Does anyone think that because
      Stephen King directed _Maximum Overdrive_ that it was therefore the best film
      made from his works? Or that the films made from Michael Crichton's novels
      that he directed himself were the best ones? Or that because Mickey Spillane
      played Mike Hammer in _The Girl Hunters_ and Richard Wright played Bigger
      Thomas in (and wrote the screenplay for) the 1950 version of_Native Son_ that
      these were the best possible versions of these works?