2696Re: [mythsoc] Redwall

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Nov 2, 2000
      In a message dated 11/01/2000 9:21:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      margdean@... writes:

      << My elder son, who's ten, likes them a lot. Myself, I rebelled at
      reading them aloud to the two boys after the third one with
      essentially the same "Evil Overlord" plot. I have trouble not
      only with this, but also problems of scale (I'm sorry, I can't
      see a badger sitting down at the same table with a bunch of
      mice...) and the idea that certain species of animals are
      =always= the "bad guys" while closely related species are
      =always= among the "good guys." (E.g. stoats, weasels, and
      ferrets are Bad while otters and badgers are Good.)

      OTOH, the writing isn't bad, and the books have Good Food
      Values. :) >>

      Good food values? You mean they eat a lot of vegetables? ggg

      I can see the trouble with scale, but personally I'd get over it okay. I
      have more trouble, in Paksenarrion, with all this male-female interaction and
      no flirting.. lol. Have you tried Horwood's Duncton Wood and it's
      companions? Those moles? I guess the thing to read before Duncton is Adams'
      Watership Down. They are like yet unalike. There is a familiarity of
      landscape throughout. Are the Redwall books set as if in the UK? Anyway,
      Duncton is rather older fare, but I was 9 or 10 when I first read LOTR.
      Maybe I should start collecting a few Redwall titles.

      As for the "like animals" thing, that is really traditional. More than that,
      even stereotypical. Weasels and stoats are always the bad guys. Badgers are
      often venerable, often gruff. Otters I haven't seen as much of, but I
      imagine they'd be playful, fast and strong. You'd think there would be more
      ferrets, especially any time the characters are in areas where there are Men
      (like when the Watership rabbits gain domesticated friends). That they are
      all Mustelidae is not really relevant, I mean, it binds them together, sure,
      as being kinda smart and kinda ferocious, but it no more means they should be
      like each other than all of any other animal family, including, say, rodents
      or primates. Maybe I should 'fess up here that I have a soft spot for
      Mustelidae, and own a good half-a-dozen badger carvings and would love to
      find a good one of a wolverine and a river otter. Not a sea otter. lol

      Lizzie
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic