2691Re: [mythsoc] Pullman and the Anxiety of Influence, etc.

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Nov 1, 2000
      In a message dated 10/31/2000 10:51:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      smasson@... writes:

      << I disliked The Last Battle thoroughly--I
      couldn't have told you why as a child but now I think it was because it
      reminded me of hellfire preachers I had known. It seems to me the least
      childlike and mythical of the series, and I think Philip particularly hates
      that one too. >>

      It's been too long since I last reread the series, but I liked TLB. I took
      comfort from Aslan's claiming of one of the, what were they? the
      pseudo-Saracens... Not just the act itself, but its implications as well.

      Sounds like I should avoid Goldthwaite, and the jury is still out on Pullman.
      On the other hand, there are constantly more and more Redwall books, and I
      can't help but wonder if they are enjoyable.

      I am ploughing through Moon's Deed of Paksennarion (sp) and while it took
      some getting used to, and I personally miss a romantic element, it is
      definitely worth reading, at least so far. There is a wealth more of certain
      details than I can take in, but it still doesn't make it a bad book. Many
      supposedly mythic books leave a gooey taste in the mind, and Paks, while not
      as poetic as I might like, is leaving a clean taste... lol

      Lizzie
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic