2690Re: Re: [mythsoc] Pullman and the Anxiety of Influence, etc.

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Nov 1, 2000
      In a message dated 11/1/0 3:51:27 AM, Sophie wrote:

      <<I think Philip(whom I know, though by correspondence rather than in the
      flesh, yet)is very much against the portrayal of girls in the Narnia series,>>

      Pullman's objections to Lewis (as quoted so far) seem to centre on the Narnia
      books, whereas it is Lewis's *adult* fiction that his own work resembles most
      glaringly in style and imagery. Has he ever mentioned Lewis in relation to
      anything other than Narnia? As a number of people have pointed out, _His Dark
      Materials_ isn't really written in the manner of a children's book, and
      doesn't really strike one as an anti-Christian equivalent of Narnia, to be
      read on the same level.
      Alexei
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic