      From: David Lenander <d-lena@...>
      To: <mythsoc@egroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, 1 November 2000 3:21
      Subject: [mythsoc] Pullman and the Anxiety of Influence, etc.

      > I certainly had that impression from one or two articles that I read in
      which Pullman attacks the Lewis books. I've never read "The Anxiety of
      Influence" but from
      > references I gather that's the phenomenon involved here. On Mythcon
      panels Paul Edwin Zimmer used to like to mention the early days when Michael
      Moorcock was a
      > major Tolkien fan, before he grew up to repudiate things Tolkien and write
      his own works in reaction. Somewhere Gene Wolfe was quoted as saying that
      Tolkien is
      > such a giant for subsequent fantasyists that they must either write in his
      shadow or in reaction to Tolkien. I'd really love to find the original Gene
      Wolfe
      > quotation. It seems overstatement from a writer who is probably most
      influenced by another giant, J.L. Borges, and certainly shows more influence
      from Dickens and
      > Kipling than Tolkien. So I'd like to see exactly what he said. (Or to
      know that he was misquoted).

      > By the way, I read Caroline Stevermer's new book, _When the King Comes
      Home_ and greatly enjoyed it.