25554Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien and the Irish question ...

  • Jeanette Rost
    Aug 25, 2014
      I am certainly no expert on this question, and have not been to the region of The Burren.  But just looking at images of the area, I wondered which places in The Lord of the Rings might be represented there.  I did see various shots of one place that could have been Hobbiton or some part of The Shire, but many of the other photos reminded me of Rohan, or worse, Mordor (without fire and brimstone).

      The Silmarillion did have descriptions of some forbidding landscapes.  But (from the photos only) it seems to me that someone would have to be pushing an agenda to try to support the idea of The Burren being Tolkien's inspiration for the places depicted in The Lord of the Rings.

      Jeanette

      On 8/25/2014 7:30 PM, lordoftheteleri@... [mythsoc] wrote:

      I hope this has not been posted before (I had a quick look but Yahoo searches are ...) because I'd like to hear what others have to say on this. I am starting to think someone is really trying to push an agenda here ...Lord of the Rings: Derry academic to reveal Burren’s links with The Lord of the Rings

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic