25366Re: [mythsoc] The Late Scholar

    Jun 22, 2014
      Thanks, Joe.  I hadn't known that Paton Walsh is still flogging this particular horse, though I can't find myself surprised.  It's going straight into my Inklings in fiction bibliography.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: "'CHRISTOPHER, DR. JOE R.' jchristopher@... [mythsoc]"
      Sent: Jun 22, 2014 1:09 PM
      To: "'mythsoc@yahoogroups.com'"
      Cc: "CHRISTOPHER, DR. JOE R."
      Subject: [mythsoc] The Late Scholar

      Something I just posted to the Virtual C.S. Lewis Society:

      I received my copy of the American edition of Jill Paton Walsh’s The Late Scholar yesterday (21 June 2014) (and finished reading it at one this morning).  This is the fourth novel in her continuation of Sayers’ Lord Peter Wimsey-Harriet Vane series.  (Lord Peter is now Duke of Denver.)  This installment is mainly laid in Oxford, in a fictional St. Severin’s College, with many allusions to Sayers’ Gaudy Night.  From p. 155, I think the action is dated to 1953.  (Perhaps I missed an absolute dating.)  References to C. S. Lewis appear on pp. 99, 173, 306, and 351; to Tolkien, on pp. 134, 173, and 351.  The main Lewis reference is the de riguer going into the Bird and “Babe” (99, 306).  The main Tolkien reference is not so usual: “Well, do you know that the Merton Professor of English here will not take women students for tutorials? With one exception, that is—he will tute girls sent to him by Miss [M. Elaine] Griffiths [of St. Anne’s College]” (134).  The Merton Professor is identified as Tolkien, including a reference to The Hobbit, in subsequent conversation, but the point goes back to Walsh’s “Acknowledgements”: “Elaine Griffiths was a real person, who taught me to read and admire Alfred the Great: I salute her memory” ([v]).

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic