25132Re: [mythsoc] Bilbo's Last Song and the Order of the Holy Paraclete

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Mar 7 7:05 PM

      Can anyone tell me why the copyright of "Bilbo's Last Song" is owned by the Order of the Holy Paraclete?

      Tolkien gave the poem, and its copyright, to his friend and sometime secretary Joy Hill, and when Joy died in 1991, she bequeathed the copyright to the Order of the Holy Paraclete. We don't know the circumstances, but this is definitely the case. Pauline Baynes's art for Bilbo's Last Song is separately copyrighted, and those rights are owned by the Williams College Oxford Programme, who received Pauline's art copyrights along with her archive and library after her death in 2008 (http://chapin.williams.edu/collect/baynes.html).

      Wayne & Christina

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic