25106Re: [mythsoc] Philology book

  • wendell_wagner
    Mar 1 3:52 PM
      What happened to philology is what's been happening to all academic studies since the Middle Ages - it split up into many different fields.  Once there weren't different academic subjects - i.e., departments or majors - at all.  Once philosophy encompassed topics that are now divided into a variety of fields.  The same thing happened to philology.  Incidentally, here's the publisher's announcement about this book:

      I wish that it was still possible to be employed as an expert in everything.  I've read recently about William Stanley Jevons (1835 - 1882).  He studied, taught, researched, and wrote about a variety of things - topics that would today be considered chemistry, botany, logic, moral philosophy, economics, cryptography, computer science, probability, evolution, the philosophy of science, theology, social reform, and geometry, for instance - and that was only a century and a half ago.  If only it were still possible to be employed in something that covered as many different subjects.  I keep browsing the classifieds for advertisements for universal savants, but I'm not sure where to look.

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 2/28/2014 12:37:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, sacnoth@... writes:

      Saw a description of a book in a new book catalogue that made me think it might be of interest to some folks here: PHILOLOGY: THE FORGOTTEN ORIGINS OF THE MODERN HUMANITIES by James Turner [forthcoming in June 2014].  Since the argument can be made that Tolkien was the last philologist, learning more about the tradition he represented cd cast some interesting light on his career. It may also be of relevance to CSL, who liked to claim he was the sole remaining representative of a vanished tradition, though he was talking about a somewhat different tradition. In any case, I'm going to see if I can hunt down a copy; if it does look like it'd be of interest to folks on the list I'll post again.

         --John R.

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic