      Sent: Friday, February 28, 2014 9:57 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] RE: Philology book

      > Posted by: "John Rateliff" sacnoth@... sacnoth32

      Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:37 pm ((PST))

      > Saw a description of a book in
      a new book catalogue that made me think it might be of interest to some folks here: PHILOLOGY: THE
      > FORGOTTEN ORIGINS OF THE MODERN HUMANITIES by James
      Turner [forthcoming in June 2014]. Since the argument can be made
      > that
      Tolkien was the last philologist, learning more about the tradition he represented cd cast some interesting light on his career. It
      > may also be
      of relevance to CSL, who liked to claim he was the sole remaining representative of a vanished tradition, though he was
      > talking about a somewhat
      different tradition. In any case, I'm going to see if I can hunt down a copy; if it does look like it'd be of
      > interest to folks on the list I'll post
      again.
      > --John R.

      Thanks for pointing that work out. I've often wondered why philology died out. I would guess its roll was taken over by linguistics and 'English', though I wonder if it was ever very big in American universities. Or here at all? It sounds like this book might answer those questions.

      Paul Westermeyer
      paul.westermeyer@...

      "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
      J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic