25104Re: [mythsoc] RE: Philology book

  • Zachary Bos
    Feb 28, 2014
      In a conversation recently with an emeritus member of the English Dept at Leeds, I asked why he opposed the proposal to make mandatory the story of Old English for their English majors. "They can't even speak MODERN English! Give them a term or two of remedial syntax and grammar, and then maybe it would be worth our time to try to teach them anything older." He made a persuasive case; and he himself was a scholar of Old English so you know he wasn't against backing that dog in the fight.

      - Z
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic