25099Re: [mythsoc] Philology book

  • Larry Swain
    Feb 28, 2014
      Thanks John!  Princeton Univ. Press, reasonably priced at $35, available in print and as an ebook.  (I disagree that the argument can be made that Tolkien was the last philologist.  While philology as a discipline has been absorbed into other disciplines and subfields, there are many of us who continue to practice philology as at least a significant part of our research.  See also On Philology by Jan Zielowski, and I'll tout 2 articles by Michael Drout and Scott Kleinman in The Heroic Age (www.heroicage.org) in Issues 12 and 13 on the topic).

      --
      Larry Swain
      theswain@...

      On Thu, Feb 27, 2014, at 11:37 PM, John Rateliff wrote:

      Saw a description of a book in a new book catalogue that made me think it might be of interest to some folks here: PHILOLOGY: THE FORGOTTEN ORIGINS OF THE MODERN HUMANITIES by James Turner [forthcoming in June 2014].  Since the argument can be made that Tolkien was the last philologist, learning more about the tradition he represented cd cast some interesting light on his career. It may also be of relevance to CSL, who liked to claim he was the sole remaining representative of a vanished tradition, though he was talking about a somewhat different tradition. In any case, I'm going to see if I can hunt down a copy; if it does look like it'd be of interest to folks on the list I'll post again.

         --John R.