25086Re: [mythsoc] I need a summary of the copyright issues relevant to the Ace editions

  • scribblerworks
    Jan 31, 2014
      Wendell, "RealityChuck" contends that Tolkien had not previously been
      published in the U.S. (and thus did not qualify for SFWA membership) --
      but hadn't THE HOBBIT already been published in the US? So that whole
      contention (which seems geared to heighten SFWA's importance in the
      dealings) is invalid. And wouldn't there be some indication in Tolkien's
      letters about the SFWA support? There isn't, that I recall -- just
      mentions of his lawyers dealing with the copyright/edition snafu.

      I haven't read the LETTERS recently, so do not claim expertise on it, just
      memory.

      > I believe the statements of the poster who calls himself "RealityChuck" in
      > the following thread from a message board about the copyright issues
      > aren't
      > correct:
      >
      > http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=714480
      >
      > Could someone give a more accurate account?
      >
      > Wendell Wagner
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic