    Jan 16, 2014
      Umm, there's something missing here.  Jo & Melody and the rest of the Far Westfarthing smial did what or are what?
      Wendell Wagner
      In a message dated 1/15/2014 10:32:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mafoster@... writes:

      FYI, Jo & Melody & the rest of the Far Westfarthing smial.
      Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:36 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Re: _History of the Hobbit_ for Kindle (was Re: Drout in paperback)

      On Jan 15, 2014, at 7:15 AM, Westermeyer GS11 Paul W wrote:
      > I didn't realize a revised edition had come out. Is there a great deal of difference between this one volume revised edition and the original two volume work?

      Hi Paul.
      Most of the contents of the original (2007) and revised (2011) editions are the same. I've fixed errata as I've learned of it whenever the opportunity arises, so in theory each printing shd be slightly more accurate than the preceding one (original HarperCollins hardcover > Houghton Mifflin hardcover > HarperCollins trade paperbacks > HarperCollins one-voume edition).
      The revised edition goes beyond fixing errata, though, and includes about thirty pages of new material. Part of this is a new appendix (Appendix V), identifying and discussing the people to whom Tolkien sent his authors' copies of the HOBBIT's first printing. The rest, the 'Addendum', is some miscellaneous HOBBIT material, mostly notes Tolkien made dating from the mid-1960s (e.g., a timeline of events at the Lonely Mountain), which would been included in my original edition had I known of its existence in time. Much of it consists of runic charts for using the futhark and more charts plus explanatory text he drew up explaining how to write using the tengwar. A pity he didn't publish the latter in 1966, when it would have found an eager audience.
      The short version: the vast majority of text is the same in all editions, but the revised edition adds some interesting bits not otherwise available.
      Or, to put it another way: there's more difference between the first and second editions of THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT than there are between the first and second edition of THE LORD OF THE RINGS, but less than between the first and second editions of THE HOBBIT.
      Hope this helps
      --John R.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic