25057Re: [mythsoc] _History of the Hobbit_ for Kindle (was Re: Drout in paperback)

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Jan 15, 2014
      Ah HA! Well, I’m off to buy it, then! Thanks for the info!

      Carl

      On Jan 14, 2014, at 11:43 PM, John Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

      Hi Carl
        Actually, although the entry in the Kindle store says it's only Volume One (MR BAGGINS), the cover shown is for the one-volume edition. And the actual file when we downloaded it turns out to be both volumes together in that revised second edition (the one that appeared from HarperCollins as THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT), complete with the fifth Appendix and the Addendum. It even has the picture of Gandalf's hat, sketchy though that is.
        --John R.

      On Jan 14, 2014, at 5:18 PM, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
      To be clear: so far as I can tell, only vol. 1 (of 2) of the original edition of John Rateliff’s _The History of the Hobbit_ is available for the Kindle (as opposed to the one-volume, and _revised_, version of _The History of the Hobbit_). Just FYI.

      Carl

      On Jan 14, 2014, at 7:33 PM, John Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

      On Jan 11, 2014, at 10:16 PM, <emptyD@...> <emptyD@...> wrote:
      Speaking of the ENCYCLOPEDIA, though I'm sure this is old news for some of you: I just learned that it was released last month in a much cheaper paperback version.

      This may have been old news for some, but it was new to me, so I'm glad for the news. Turns out it's available on Kindle as well, and even as a rentable e-book.

      I just found out yesterday that my HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT is now available on Kindle as well, which prompted me to check several other Tolkien titles. It seems to be hit or miss: no titles from Wayne & Christina but did find Shippey's AUTHOR OF THE CENTURY (but not ROAD TO MIDDLE-EARTH), Garth's TOLKIEN & THE GREAT WAR, and Verlyn's SPLINTERED LIGHT (but not INTERRUPTED MUSIC or QUESTION OF TIME). I'm old school enough to prefer paper, but I'm glad to have the option to get such works in searchable electronic format.

      Speaking of which, has anyone checked to see what Tolkien (by & about) might be available on Oyster?

      --John R.

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: