24989. . . see kealey and fealey die . . .?

  • John Rateliff
    Dec 23, 2013
      My guess (and it's only a guess) is that not only will Fili and Kili and Thorin all die, dramatically and heroically, but Tauriel as well ("many an elf that should have lived yet long ages in the woods"). Also on the kill list would be  Azog and Bolg and Smaug and the Master of Lake Town, or so I assume.
         I think there's a fair-to-middling chance that more dwarves will die in the movie than in the book, following the precedent set in the Rankin-Bass HOBBIT, in which if I remember rightly only six dwarves survive from Thorin's Company.  It's hard to imagine Jackson's Dwalin surviving Thorin, for instance. I do expect Bofur, who seems to be Jackson's favorite among the dwarves, to be among the survivors.
         We do know for certain that Balin and Ori and Oin survive the Battle of Five Armies, since all three are killed decades later in Moria. Though I'd have to go back and check the scene from Jackson's FELLOWSHIP to confirm that Oin's death is mentioned in the Book of Mazarbul passages Gandalf reads aloud.
         So far as the Somme goes, I don't think it's odd to suggest that in describing a fictional battle Tolkien might have drawn on the one real battle he took part in. I don't think he incorporated specific details from the real-world battle into the fictional one, but instead used personal experience to help convey the feeling of being a very little part of a vast chaos of death.

      --John R.

      On Dec 22, 2013, at 2:22 PM, <emptyD@...> <emptyD@...> wrote:
      I expect we'll see Fili and Kili die onscreen in Peter Jackson's third HOBBIT film, even though the book describes their deaths in just one laconic sentence after the fact. In Jackson's LORD OF THE RINGS films, most action that Tolkien had described in "flashback", as it were, is shown by Jackson as it happens. I would be very impressed if Jackson cuts away from the battle when its outcome is still in doubt, as the book does, but this seems very unlikely. Blockbuster movie storytelling, even in the 2010s, has yet to catch up with the techniques of a 1930s children's book.

      -Merlin

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic