2483Re: [mythsoc] Lilith

  • David S. Bratman
    Sep 29, 2000
      Jane Harrison wrote:

      > Would like recommendation to MacDonald's work. I already have Morris's
      > work. What
      > about Lord Dunsany's stories. I only have one. And would appreciate any
      > comments on these writers and others of similar time.

      You ask a large question, but briefly, in my and others' opinion, Dunsany
      was the most pellucid stylist, and possessed of one of the most verdant
      imaginations, and the slyest wit, of all fantasists. I confess that
      MacDonald and Morris sometimes put me to sleep (with all of MacDonald's
      dream fantasies, that may not be surprising). Dunsany never does, yet he
      has all their virtues.

      And Juliet Blosser wrote:
      > You can find a selection of Dunsany's work at:
      > http://www.interlog.com/~case/support/content.html

      I find that _how_ I read a work affects strongly my reaction to it, and
      trying to read an author like Dunsany in phosphor is like trying to do
      calm deep-breathing to power rock (though who knows, maybe some people
      do). If you want a more reader-friendly selection of Dunsany, in the
      U.S. there's two of his best novels (The King of Elfland's Daughter and
      The Charwoman's Shadow) currently in print, plus an attractively laid-out
      small press edition of some short stories, under the title of _The
      Hashish Man_. The best current selection of Dunsany, though, is an
      omnibus paperback of most of his best short fiction, under the title
      _Time and the Gods_ (not to be confused with an o.p. shorter collection
      of some of the same stories). All these are available from the
      appropriate online booksellers.

      And David Lenander wrote:

      > _Lilith_ had an enormous impact on me, when I
      > read it at about age 15 (what year did Carter republish it?)

      It was one of the first books in the Ballantine Adult Fantasy series:
      September of 1969.

      David Bratman