24700H. P. Lovecraft & Christian Thought about Horror Fiction

  • Travis Buchanan
    Dec 4, 2013
      Since there has been a fair amount of love shown the craft of Lovecraft on this list the past few years I have been a subscriber, I thought I would draw the attention of those interested to a blog post over at Transpositions, the official blog of the Institute for Theology, Imagination, and the Arts at the University of St Andrews (with many other good things on it which I encourage you to check out, if you haven't already), on 'Horror Fiction and Christian Thought' discussing Lovecraft's work from a Christian perspective and moreover relating it to Tolkien's insight that death and the inevitability of death is a central theme of most captivating stories as well as his own (on this, see also Tolkien's Letters, 246, 283-84). The post is written by Garret Johnson (I do not know if he is on this list or not) who teaches creative writing at Houston Baptist University.

      The article also links to fascinating BBC archival footage taken in 1968 from a series of British authors 'In Their Own Words' featuring Tolkien which I had never seen before. It's almost 13 minutes long and well worth watching:

      Cheers,

      Travis
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic