      Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 5:27 PM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Shire-reckoning development

      I hope someone can bolster my memory here. I'm fairly certain that somewhere in HoME there's a nugget that gives the point at which Tolkien decided that the Hobbits reckoned their count of years differently from the Dunedain, but I sure can't find it. I have a very dim recollection - which might be false - that there was a stage where the years '1418' etc were considered universal usage, before the vast expansion of the Third Age associated with the Heirs of Elendil and Tale of Years, and the story of Hobbit-Hengest and Hobbit-Horsa..

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic