24669Re: [mythsoc] basis for the extra bits in the second Hobbit movie

  • Troels Forchhammer
    Nov 20, 2013
      Yes, Sarah's right – the film-makers cannot use anything outside the
      normal editions of LotR and _The Hobbit_. According to one interview
      I saw, they have even made a point of not reading any of it: one of them
      having read _The Silmarillion_ in the eighties (I think the phrase was
      "more than 25 years ago"), but that is all.

      Personally I think it shows ... quite crassly.

      /Troels Forchhammer

      On 20 November 2013 09:01, <scribbler@...> wrote:
      Mem, I don't think the filmmakers CAN use anything that was not in either
      the LOTR (with the appendices) or THE HOBBIT. Those are the only works to
      which the film rights have been sold.

      Gandalf's visit to Dol Guldur is from the appendices, as is the history of
      the dwarf kingdoms (which I assume has been tapped).

      Sarah Beach

      > Just to kick up a duststorm, who can point me to the extra bits in
      > Tolkien's work that are being used for inclusion in the second Hobbit
      > movie?
      >
      > I think someone mentioned the Lost Tales, and someone mentioned a
      > different source.  I'd appreciate knowing as specifically as possible
      > what went into this expanded story.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Mem

      <*> Your email settings: