24630Re: [mythsoc] Howard & Tolkien

    Oct 17, 2013
      What would seem likely is that Tolkien had the opportunity to read this anthology, as one hopes the publisher was courteous enough to send a copy.  (And that it got to him: by this point, anything sent to Tolkien by other than family or personal friends went through his publisher.)  But to judge whether he read it, we need more evidence, like that letter about the de Camp anthology (which is de Camp's source for Tolkien's opinion of the book).  I have myself a number of books on my shelf with contributions by myself in them, and that does not mean I've necessarily read everything else in the book.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Morgan Thomsen
      Sent: Oct 17, 2013 5:36 PM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Howard & Tolkien

      And more thing I noticed when checking around: it might be of note that both Tolkien and Howard contributed to The Young Magicians (1969; edited by Lin Carter). It would seem likely that Tolkien read Howard's story included in this anthology.

      On Oct 18, 2013 01:51 "Morgan Thomsen" <morgan@...> wrote:

      Paul: see also a quotation from a letter by Tolkien to de Camp,
      reprinted in Scull and Hammond, Chronology, p. 622. Though specifically
      not naming Howard, Tolkien gives his general opinion about the authors
      -- of whom Howard was one -- contributing to the anthology Sword and
      Sorcery.

      The letter was first published in Mythlore 50 (1987).

      /Morgan

      On Oct 16, 2013 23:45 "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

      > See also my (in places very tentative) transcription of Tolkien's
      > comments on the collection here:
      >

      > <http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1785
      > &v
      > iewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=5>
      >

      > Carl
      >

      > On Oct 16, 2013, at 3:18 PM, David Bratman <<dbratman@...>>
      > wrote:
      >

      > > There's more to the citation of de Camp than the wiki article
      > > alludes
      > > to.
      > >
      > > "I met Tolkien in February 1967, on my way back from India. Tolkien
      > > and I had corresponded. I had sent him a copy of my little
      > > anthology,
      > > _Swords and Sorcery_; he said he found it interesting but did not
      > > much
      > > like the stories in it. ... We sat in the garage for a couple of
      > > hours, smoking pipes, drinking beer, and talking about a variety of
      > > things. Practically anything in English literature, from Beowulf
      > > down,
      > > Tolkien had read and could talk intelligently about. He indicated
      > > that
      > > he 'rather liked' Howard's Conan stories."
      > > - L. Sprague de Camp, _Literary Swordsmen and Sorcerers_, p. 243-44

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic